Mirrors are a decorator’s best friend, and with good reason — a well-placed mirror makes the most of a room’s natural light, enhances views, opens a small space and adds oomph to decor. The key lies in pairing the right mirror with the right location to maximise its decor-uplifting potential………..here are 5 proven pairings to try in your own house.
1. Full-length mirror between two windows. Placing a mirror between two windows tricks the eye into thinking there is another window there and helps maximize natural light. Casually propping a full-length mirror against the wall brings a relaxed mood to the room.
2. Wood framed mirror in the kitchen. Instantly creates a homier vibe in the kitchen with the addition of a wood framed mirror. Large or small, propped on a shelf or hung from the wall, it all works. The key is to choose a mirror that looks as if it belongs in a living room or bedroom — something with a bit of warmth to it.
3. Wall mirror behind a chest.Sneakily suggest there is more space than meets the eye in a small apartment by lining a wall with mirror and scooting a chest in front, the effect is subtle but very glamorous.
4. Narrow mirror flanked with art. Whether placed over a console in the entry or above a buffet in the dining room, this combination will not fail you. Start with a narrow mirror, either rectangular or faceted, and beef it up with two pairs of small, framed artwork, the key lies in the symmetry of the arrangement — pick four equal-size frames and measure precisely when you hang them.
5. Sunburst mirror over a console. Have a console table that needs spicing up? Pop a flashy sunburst mirror on the wall above it, and it will uplift the entire arrangement.